Sunday, April 25, 2010

The birth

Vegard was born at the hospital in Drammen, Norway at 7.42 am Tuesday 4th of January - after having stayed in my belly for an extra 14 days past due date. I was supposed to go to hospital the very same day, actually - at 8 am - to have the birth started - but Vegard decided to come by his own will.

Contractions started slightly around 9 pm the evening before. By midnight we called the hospital and asked what to do. They told us to get a babysitter for Erik, Vegard’s big brother, who was just under 2 years old at that time, just in case - but to wait and see for a while yet. We called the boys cousin and his fiance, and alerted them.

At 2 am we arrived at the hospital - and were told to go home again - not enough action yet. Since I was due to be back at eight o'clock anyway - I was offered a bed there - and accepted it. My husband Ørnulf was to go home, but he never made it that far - because by 2.30 the action really had started...

It was a pretty tough birth - both physically and emotionally - but luckilly quite fast - and it was all forgotten about as soon as I had my baby! Vegard was a healthy, beautiful – and very angry – little baby. He was 54 cm long and weighed 3910 gram.


Vegard 36 minutes old

No comments:

Post a Comment